Each full PiggyBac transgenic mouse project is divided into the following phases:
1. PiggyBac transgenic strategy design
2. PiggyBac transgenic vector construction
3. PiggyBac transgenic pronuclear injection
4. PiggyBac transgenic mouse embryo screening
Preparation of DNA for injection and development of a genotyping strategy
The success of PiggyBac transgenic production depends critically on the design and the quality of the PiggyBac vector used in pronuclear injection. Accordingly, we employ a special protocol to design and prepare top-quality PiggyBac vectors for our injections. A PCR-based genotyping strategy will be developed and tested.
Generation of PiggyBac transgenic embryos and staining of embryos for lacZ expression
- Plasmid injection to obtain PiggyBac mouse embryos, basic service: A minimum of 100-150 eggs (C57BL/6) will be injected. Embryos will be retrieved from surrogate mothers at the stage you specify (typically within the E10.5-E16.5 window) for subsequent processing. This will result in an average of 3-5 transgenic embryos, but the actual numbers could fluctuate significantly, and it is possible that no transgenic embryos are obtained. If you wish to ensure the generation of PiggyBac transgenic embryos, we strongly recommend that you use our guaranteed service option (see below).
- Plasmid injection to obtain PiggyBac mouse embryos, guaranteed service: We guarantee a minimum of 6 PiggyBac transgenic embryos for plasmid injection (the actual number of transgenic embryos obtained is typically higher). We will inject as many eggs as needed to fulfill this guarantee.
- Genotyping and lacZ staining of PiggyBac embryos: Embryos will be genotyped by PCR. All embryos, regardless of genotype, will also be fixed and stained for lacZ expression.
We typically produce transgenic mouse embryos in C57BL/6 strain backgrounds, but we can use other strains per your request.
|Service||Donor egg strain||Price||Turnaround time|
PiggyBac transgenic strategy design
|Transgenic vector construction
|Please inquire||2-5 weeks|
|Prepare PiggyBac DNA for injection and develop genotyping strategy||$450||1-2 weeks|
|PiggyBac plasmid injection to obtain embryos, basic service||C57BL/6||$3,750||5-7 weeks|
|PiggyBac plasmid injection to obtain embryos, guaranteed service||C57BL/6||$4,250||5-10 weeks|
|Genotyping and lacZ staining of PiggyBac transgenic mouse embryo||$350||1 week|
Note: For PiggyBac transgenic mouse embryo services not listed above, please inquire about availability and pricing. The turnaround time above does not include the time for obtaining host institution’s approval for mouse importation, nor transit time during shipping.
Cyagen offers the best guarantee in the industry – we will fully refund the client’s service fee if animals with the specified genotype are not generated (except for genetic modifications severely affecting viability, morbidity, or fertility). Given the complexity of biological systems, a particular genetic modification may not result in the desired phenotype. As such, Cyagen's guarantee covers the creation of animals with the specified genotype, not a particular phenotypic outcome in terms of transcription, protein/RNA function, or organismal biology.
If you find another commercial service provider that offers better pricing than ours, we will match the price plus an additional 5% off.
Standard payment terms include a 50% upfront payment before the project, and the remaining 50% plus shipping charge paid after completion of the project. If you need us to design your transgenic strategy, we will provide this service for free irrespective of whether you end up choosing us for your project.
We offer up to a 10% bulk discount for large orders. Large orders are defined as 5 or more projects from the same institution. If you bundle your orders with those of your colleagues, you can all qualify for the bulk discount.
DNA constructs or fixed/stained embryos are shipped at room temperature, and the charge includes courier cost plus a $10 handling fee. We typically use World Courier to ship live mice and FedEx for other shipments.
All animal work is conducted in our specific pathogen free (SPF) facilities that have been AAALAC accredited and OLAW assured. For details information, please visit our support section for Description of our Facility, Animal Health and Animal Welfare Program.
Please click here to view a map of customers who have used Cyagen before worldwide.
Please click here for a list of publications that have cited Cyagen.